Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Stevenage 1-2 Burton Albion

13 April 2024

Match Reports

Report: Stevenage 1-2 Burton Albion

13 April 2024

Sponsored by

Defeat at The Lamex...

Stevenage had just three games remaining of the 2023/24 League One season and were still in the hunt for the play-offs ahead of kick-off: a superb achievement in itself.

The Gaffer made just one change from Tuesday’s victory over Barnsley as Nathan Thompson returned to the starting eleven to make his 20th start for the club.

A back three of Nathan Thompson, Terence Vancooten and Carl Piergianni lined up in front of Craig MacGillivray between the sticks. Kane Smith and Dan Butler remained as the wingbacks, either side of a midfield duo of Louis Thompson and Finley Burns. Jamie Reid, Elliott List and Aaron Pressley led the line.

Stevenage saw a large majority of the possession in the first half and were met with a Burton Albion side who put 11 men behind the ball and were defending well.

Few chances were created because of this and neither goalkeeper was really tested in the opening half an hour. Jamie Reid did have an acrobatic attempt on goal after 25 minutes, but his effort flew well wide.

The remainder of the first half was a similar story, as Boro attempted to break down the resilient Burton defence. Shortly before half-time, Finley Burns picked up a knock and was replaced by Harvey White in the middle of the park.

Then, moments later, Burton Albion took the lead completely against the run of play, as Mark Helm’s header found the back of the net.

The referee then blew his whistle to signal half-time as Stevenage went into the break a goal down despite being on top for the most part.

As the second half got underway, Boro made a double change as Aaron Pressley and Kane Smith made way for midfielders Ben Thompson and Nick Freeman. Nathan Thompson moved over to right-back as Stevenage transitioned into a back four.

Boro looked incredibly lively in the early stages of the half as they looked to react following the setback. Jamie Reid touched the ball beautifully inside the area before firing low and hard on goal, but Max Crocombe denied the number 9.

Then, Harvey White drove the ball forward from midfield and had a cracking attempt on goal, but again Crocombe kept it out.

Soon after, Stevenage were left stunned as to how the ball did not creep over the line, as it bounced off several legs just a couple of yards from goal before Jamie Reid’s rebound was blocked.

Boro had totally come alive in the second half as they looked to turn their game in their favour. Louis Thompson drove past several Burton players before laying it off to Elliott List whose effort was well saved.

On the hour mark, there was a 50/50 tussle off the ball between Dan Butler and Burton’s Mark Helm which saw Butler receive a red card and Helm receive a yellow.

Stevenage were now down to ten men as they desperately searched for an equaliser. A fourth sub was made as Kane Hemmings replaced Elliott List in attack.

With roughly twenty minutes to go, Jordan Roberts was introduced, replacing Nathan Thompson.

Just a couple of minutes later, Burton Albion found their second goal of the afternoon as Tom Hamer fired home from close range.

Stevenage pulled one back with a few minutes remaining of the initial 90 as Kane Hemmings got his name on the scoresheet to install some hope amongst the Boro supporters.

The Fourth Official then held up six minutes of additional time.

Unfortunately, Stevenage were unable to carve out a clear enough chance in injury time as the referee blew his final whistle to award Burton all three points.

The side now prepare for a clash with Oxford United on Friday night.

Attendance: 4,040 including 204 away supporters.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account