Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy tickets
31 October 2020 Venue Lamex Stadium Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Report: Stevenage 0-0 Grimsby

31 October 2020

Jim Steele

Stevenage were left to rue missed chances in a 0-0 draw with Ian Holloway’s Grimsby Town at the Lamex Stadium, in a game filled with attacking intent from the hosts...

Boro made two changes from midweek, as Luther James-Wildin and Charlie Carter came into the starting line-up in place of Terence Vancooten and Elliot Osborne. Carter returned from injury to make his first league start of the season.

Stevenage had a fantastic opportunity to score just two minutes in, with Elliott List driving past his man before delivering a pin-point cross onto the head of Marcus Dinanga, whose close range header was saved superbly by the experienced James McKeown.

Stevenage came close once again with a set piece routine, as Arthur Read drilled in a low cross from a corner, which Carter connected with, but struck wide of the post.

Stevenage were playing some excellent football in Grimsby’s half and Elliot List looked promising for Boro, causing problems for the Mariners defence. His long range effort looked goal bound, but fizzed just past a scrambling McKeown and out for a corner.

A first chance arrived for Grimsby after 15 minutes, with a cross from Luke Hendrie finding an unmarked James Tilley back post who rushed his header, sailing wide of Jamie Cumming in the Boro goal.

A nasty clash of heads between Luther James-Wildin and James Tilley saw a brief stoppage in play during the first half, with Tilley coming off and Wildin able to resume play after receiving treatment.

Stevenage were dominating proceedings and had claims for a penalty dismissed by referee Sam Allison as List was taken down in the box by an onrushing Luke Waterfall.

The half's final chances fell to Arthur Read who had a pop shot from distance saved by McKeown and Dinanga, who struck the post with an angled effort. This was one of Boro’s best starts to a game this season, knocking on the door to try and find an opening.

Stevenage began the second half how they started the first, as they troubled Grimsby early on with Arthur Read’s deflected cross bouncing up towards List, who opted for power instead of placement and his volley went over the bar.

Carter also came close as a cross was met by the midfielder, who headed inches away from goal.

Grimsby came close after 65 minutes with their first shot on target, as substitute James Hanson headed into the gloves of Cumming from a free kick just outside the box.

Boro were agonisingly close to opening the scoring as substitute Danny Newton’s strike whistled past the post, desperately close from the striker.

Virgil Gomis gave Boro a scare late on as he skipped past his defender, unleashing an effort into the body of Jamie Cumming.

Newton almost converted as the ball was dragged back to him by Read, with the striker taking his time before firing into McKeown. Then, substitute Aramide Oteh was next to test Mckeown, who from distance, curled the ball towards goal only to see his effort tipped over the bar.

James Hanson could’ve snatched all three points late on, as a back post header went just over the goal but Stevenage staved off late pressure from the Mariners and had to settle for a point, in a game filled with plenty of attacking play and chances for Boro, registering 19 shots in total.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account