Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 19:00 (UK)

Buy tickets
20 October 2020 Venue Lamex Stadium Attendance

Kick off 19:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Report: Stevenage 0-1 Newport County

20 October 2020

Jim Steele

Stevenage were defeated at the Lamex Stadium on Tuesday night, losing 1-0 against Newport County who remained joint-top of the Sky Bet League Two table...

Alex Revell made five changes to the side that lost against Forest Green Rovers last week, with Ben Coker, Romain Vincelot, Elliot Osborne, Danny Newton and Aramide Oteh coming in to replace Ross Marshall, Jack Smith, Arthur Read, Inih Effiong and Elliott List.

Stevenage started well and it was almost a dream start, with Jack Aitchison’s lofted through ball reaching an onrushing Danny Newton who opted to chip Nick Townsend in the Newport goal, but his delicate effort coming off the crossbar. Aitchison reacted quickly to the rebound, but his effort could only hit the side netting.

Newport reacted with pace, causing Boro problems and in the sixth minute, Liam Shephard darted into the box and was brought down by Ben Coker, leaving referee Lee Swabey little choice but to award a penalty. Tristan Abrahams stepped up and coolly converted for his third league goal of the season.

Newport continued to show their quality, with goalscorer Abrahams latching onto a long ball, beating Luke Prosser for pace before unleashing a shot that was smartly saved by Jamie Cumming.

Aitchison showed plenty of promise for Stevenage in the first half, and found Newton on the edge of the Newport box, who pulled the ball back to an unmarked Romain Vincelot who volleyed over.

Persistent pressing from Stevenage forced a corner after 30 minutes, with a floated ball reaching Vincelot who cushioned the ball back to Elliot Osborne who eventually fired over. Newton had the half’s last attempt, running across his marker before unleashing an effort that went just wide of goal.

The second half commenced and Stevenage found space early on, as Aitchison darted forward and crossed for Arimide Oteh in the box, who had a shot saved by Townsend which Newport managed to clar.

Stevenage continued to attack in their search for an equaliser and on the hour mark, Osborne threaded an intricate through ball into Oteh who held off his man before shooting into a Newport defender. It was better from Boro in the second half, who pushed the visitors back but still found it difficult to create that golden opportunity to make the difference.

Newport pressed for a second goal and a 70th minute corner looked to be on its way to Joss Labadie, but the ball only managed to clip Labadie’s head and Cuthbert cleared to safety.

Stevenage’s hunt for an equaliser continued to intensify with Remeao Hutton delivering a cross on 80 minutes, which had to be punched away by a pressured Townsend. Newton also had a chance seconds later but failed to convert from a dangerous Aitchison cross.

Newton had two chances in the 85th minute, as Stevenage piled men into the box with the striker miskicking the ball both times under Newport pressure.

Boro continued to push for the equaliser, but in the end a lack of quality showed on a frustrating night as Newport gained three points, making it four league wins in a row for the Exiles.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account