Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Peterborough 2-0 Stevenage

19 November 2019

Joe Dent

Stevenage crashed out of the Emirates FA Cup on Tuesday Night at The Weston Homes Stadium as Peterborough made home advantage count to win 2-0...

Mo Eisa’s 10th minute strike from the edge of the box was punctuated by Ricky-Jade Jones' last minute clincher, as Boro exited the competition at the First Round stage despite a spirited performance that pushed the hosts all the way.

Mark Sampson named three changes from the first match of the tie, bringing in Tom Soares, Luis Fernandez and Elliott List as Dean Parrett and Kurtis Guthrie missed out through injury, whilst Terence Vancooten was away on International Duty for Guyana.

Peterborough made most of the running during the early goings and after Toney came inches away from connecting to an in-swinging Maddison cross, his strike partner Eisa fired home from 20 yards out to put the home side ahead.

Posh’s goalscorer in the first leg, Maddison, tested Farman 10 minutes later from a tight angle and it was clear that Boro would be in for a difficult evening away at the League One high-flyers.

Stevenage grew into the half though and Stokes came close to finding the top corner from distance after being teed up by Lakin from a short free-kick before right down the other end, Burrows blazed over from a closer distance after receiving a cut-back inside the box.

Farman was at his best with 37 minutes gone as he beat away another Eisa effort, this time hit with particular venom to keep the score at 1-0, before Sonupe dragged a shot wide and Lakin hit one wide as the half drew to a close with Stevenage still in the tie.

Just two minutes into the second half, Eisa brought another fine stop out of Farman after Peterborough capitalised on a lost ball in midfield to break away with a three on two situation – Maddison picking out his teammate but the Stevenage stopper equal to the Posh striker’s effort.

Elliott List almost got into a shooting position with just under an hour played, but failed to either shoot nor cross from a narrow angle, as Posh keeper Pym was able to get down and smother the ball.

Boro were getting on top of the contest and five minutes later, List had the best Stevenage chance of the match up to that point, as he received the ball 25 yards out, before shifting inside and aiming for the bottom corner, only to see Pym palm the ball away.

Nugent almost put the ball into his own net on 67 minutes as he made a vital block at the near-post and in the same moment of play, Cuthbert injured his groin, meaning the end of the Captain’s night.

A double substitution beckoned as Mackail-Smith and Cowley came on for Cuthbert and Timlin, with Boro going for the jugular in the final 20 minutes.

Maddison could have sealed the deal with 75 minutes gone, as he intercepted a loose Stevenage pass before driving at the defence, but his deflected strike failed to trouble Farman.

During a crazy 60 seconds of football, Ward hit the post for Posh with the goal gaping and then, List went right up the other end of the pitch to almost win a penalty as Pym came rushing out of his goal, but referee Ollie Yates waved away the protests.

Stevenage had the better of the second half and came inches away from what would have surely been a late equaliser from a well-struck set-piece - List flicking on a quickly took free-kick towards the back-post, where neither Mackail-Smith nor Carter could get a telling touch.

List was then denied by Pym from just a few yards out as Stevenage threw everything at Peterborough in the remaining minutes, causing the hosts plenty to think about with just a one goal lead.

Smyth came on in added but once again it was that final touch, pass or shot that let Boro down as Posh broke away in numbers with seconds remaining to make it 2-0 and seal their place in the Second Round of the Emirates FA Cup.

Attendance: 3593 (375 away)


WhatsApp Image 2019-11-12 at 11.25.20.jpeg

Advertisement block